creating a healthy lifestyle for mothers and women everywhere

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Protein Q & A Round 2

Happy Saturday!! Hope you are having a great weekend!
Last night, Brent had to work late (Tax season has begun) So it was just the babes and I. We stayed busy playing ponies and trains, singing songs, and dancing.. you know a typical Friday night. We also watched hook! It’s the one movie the babies will sit and watch longer then 5 minutes. They are completely enthralled with it.. (don’t worry, I fast forward through scary parts.)

This morning workout started off with Body pump, with Leg shredder and a two mile run with a group of fantastic runners!

I got a group together that are all running/training for the same marathon.
LET MARATHON TRAINING BEGIN!! 

IF you live close to me.. feel free to join in on the fun! Just email me and Ill send you the info.
I came home for a quick recovery shake- Hopefully it really takes care of my legs because after today I hope I can walk tomorrow!
DSC_0122DSC_0121




Chocolate Chia Shake
In the mix:
  • 1 1/2 c. Vanilla almond milk
  • 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
  • ice
  • 1 tbs Chia seeds
  • I tbs Cocoa powder
  • Handful of Spinach
  • 1/4 tsp gaur gum
Protein Q & A Round 2 


I received some feed back and a few more questions about protein powder following my last post. 
I’m going to answer them to the best of my knowledge but again. I am not a registered dietician and the following information is of my own knowledge and experience. So lets get to it. 


Is protein supplement safe to have while pregnant?



Personally, I continued to have whey protein shakes while I was pregnant with the twinners. Protein is important to have while pregnant (not specifically in powder form) but powder actually contains vitamins and minerals that are beneficial. However, at the beginning of my pregnancy I was completely turned off by them it didn’t sound good to me AT all! Along with other things that I regularly had such as cereal and gum. When I hit my 2nd trimester I would have one every now and then when I had a tough workout or was on the go.
I found a few articles on the subject. Here and Here.
As always discuss it with your OB and get their thoughts. Mine was okay with it.




Do you ever have stomach issues with protein powders?

I have a sensitive stomach when it comes to whey/milk products(bloating, gassy,etc.) so I shoot for whey isolate (lactose free) but I will have chocolate milk or casein shake after a night run or something so I sleep through the bloat. I love dairy to much to cut it out completely.
Jumping back to the question on how much protein do you need?
Through round one I recommended that you consume however much protein per pound of your body weight. I only said that because that what was recommended for me because of my activity level, body type, and maintenance.There are so many different ways to determine exactly how much you actually need.
You can try this protein calculator
OR if you feel like using your brain, try this equation.
Take your Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
Then take your Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.
Then you will have your total. I had a comment that said they heard its 1 gram per pound of lean muscle you have. Well, how exactly do you know how much “lean” muscle you have? -- Good luck figuring that out!
I recommend it my way because its simple. I honestly don’t think there is one answer to this question, because everyone is different. The point of the matter is, protein is important to your diet and active lifestyle. Find what works for you.
If you start to get the runs..or completely backed up.. (TMI?) Your probably getting to much protein.
If you are constantly snacking, and hungry ALL the time, your probably not getting enough.




What kind do you like, that isn’t chalky and or disgusting?




I like elite protein. I roll with chocolate and vanilla. Rarely will we go out of the flavor box just because chocolate and vanilla are easy to play with. We recently got a chocolate mint and really like it!
I do recommend making a smoothie with them all the time. Because shaking it with water is never really fantastic. But add ice, 1/2 banana, spinach, almond milk and you got your self a healthy milkshake!
I even use it to bake with! I LOVE this waffle recipe
!
My gym sells protein shakes could I just buy one of those post-workout?
Sure, Most gyms do have a protein shake bar. My only warning with them is that they can contain more sugar then your average blizzard. Most gyms are cheap and use flavorings, such as island oasis
source
Check out the stats:
source
In 3 oz.! Add that to the amount of calories in your scoop of protein and you might as well just drive through a dairy queen. I’m not a huge fan of artificial flavorings and they average to be $5 each!
Just make your shakes at home and save money and calories.
Now, its time to start crossing off some things on my to-do list!






Have a happy Saturday!

P.S today the twins are 18 months old! Seriously, can’t believe it! I wish I could just freeze life right now because they are to dang cute.
IMG_4704




Q. What is your favorite Protein powder flavor?
I always stick to vanilla and chocolate but I have heard good things about cake batter?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Candice,
    To find out your lean body mass you can have a trainer test your body fat %, then figure out how many pounds of fat are on your body by multiplying that number by your weight. Subtract your fat pounds from your weight and you have your lean body mass (everything besides fat, including organs and bones). Then you will know exactly how many grams of protein you need per day to sustain your muscle mass. If you are trying to add muscle, then you need extra protein.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have totally steered me in the right direction for protein shakes! Thank you for your wonderful posts and unique perspectives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the answers about what brand you recommend! I've never heard of Elite so I'll have to check into it... Have you ever tried Aria or Designer Whey? Those two seem to be in a bunch of stores...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen both in stores and have never tried them because seem a little pricey for how many servings comes in the containers. To save a bit of mula I'd order it from amazon or bodybuilding.

      Delete