creating a healthy lifestyle for mothers and women everywhere

Monday, January 2, 2012

Preparing a healthy meal + A Challenge

 

Today was the beginning of Hellth” week at GPP. It is not to late to join in on the fun.If you do so you may receive health and happiness. And or the inablilty to walk or lift your arms to eye level by the end of week. BUT you will have happiness that I can assure.

source

Each workout this week is tough. But I can’t think of a better way to kick those resolutions into gear. I challenge all of you to give these workouts a shot and see how you do. Maybe one of your resolutions was to change up your routine, or try something different. – Well, here it is on a silver platter.

Maybe your goal was to start working out. Good for you! I recommend not going balls to the wall at first. Start slow and build up. If you hit it hard the first day, you may only be setting up to fail because you will be to sore the next day and skimp out on the work out. Everyone starts somewhere. Take your time and be smart about it.

After the Workout, I ran a mile with some gym friends, in which we picked up a stray ball off the side of the road and kicked it the whole way back to home base. I now think I will kick a ball through all long runs.. it was highly entertaining and not to mention worked up some agility skills. Ha!

I did about 4 more miles after to break in my new kicks. They are K Swiss and sort of remind me of zumba?? To bad I don’t particularly shake it to often. They are bright and therefore I love them. Not to mention I have been running in my new balance minimus shoes for the past 6 months and these feel like I’m running on clouds in comparison. Got to have some cushion for the pushin’ y’all.

IMG_5314[1]

It was perfect running weather today. What happened to Utah winter weather?? I don’t know and don’t care. I’m loving it!

Post run I refueled with some Chocolate protein while preparing lunch.

IMG_5312[1]

Lunch was a 6oz grilled chicken seasoned with Mrs. Dash and a spinach salad with some diced apple (which I ate the rest of), avocados, tomatoes and a kiwi (that was about to die). I drizzled some olive oil and some Asian sesame dressing over the top.

One of my goals for the new year is to put more of my meals on a plate. I used to be really good at it until the babies got a little bit more active then it turned into a hurry and stuff my face with whatever before the babies see what I have and take it away and get in the fridge and empty the entire produce drawer and spilling all the condiments from the door.. You have to be quick.

To plan my meals is something that comes easily to me and most of the food is prepared in advance so it is quick and convenient to just grab but I should actually sit down and eat off a plate and avoid eating straight from the fridge.

HEALTHY MEAL PLANNING

When planning my meals I want to be sure to have certain items prepared in advance or easy to grab. Each meal usually consists of each of the following:

  • A protein
  • Healthy fat
  • Variety of vegetables
  • Complex Carb

**Please note: There are several other options that fit into each category. This only reflects mainly what I always have on hand or have prepared in advance. My diet is not limited/restricted to only these foods.

1. Protein: My favorites are Protein Powders, Chicken, Tilapia, Sodium-free Tuna or eggs.

2. Healthy Fats: Olive oil, Avocados, Almonds.

3. Veggies: Green beans, asparagus, peppers, onions, broccoli, and spinach.

4. Carbs: Sweet potatoes, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, Oatmeal, Fruits.

When my meal includes at least one of the following I never feel deprived or hungry after. It’s the perfect amount and leaves me feeling good about myself without sacrificing any flavor or variety because it can be different every day.

We spent the rest of the night at my husbands mall..

Cabelas

IMG_5317[1]

We went with the FIL and BIL and SIL. We had a good time and I found a coat that could keep me warm in Antarctica.

Be jealous. It was down and completely comfy.

Lets discuss some random facts of the day:

1. The bachelor: Ben is BOOOOORING. I think the only thing that show has going for it is the crazy chick Jenna. And or the the rapper.

2. My husband earned some bonus points and surprised me yesterday with this!

IMG_5304[1]

A kindle FIRE. Now, I can read runners world in bed, in the dark AND upside down. Or just continue the 23 games of words with friends.

One day I’ll download a book. One day.

That is a resolution I have all year to start…

Q. What is your new year resolution?

Which one? Ha. Lets just say I like to make list. LONG list … of goals and goals on how to achieve those goals. Its going to be a good year folks.

Q. Share your quick go-to meal/snack, What is something you always have on hand?

Banana. has to be frozen. + Almond butter has to be freshly grounded. I’m telling you this is my pre-workout, post workout, stress eating drug of choice

2 comments:

  1. I totally would love a butt-kicking workout! I'm in need of one, the gym is getting boring and it's freezing outside so running doesn't sound too appealing...

    Go-to snack: fresh fruit and some type of protein and carb combo like a bar, popcorn and a string cheese, or yogurt with cereal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a long-list goal maker too. I have a lot of goals, but I need to sit down and pick a few. One of them is to read at least one book a month. That will give me something to do while I'm watching the little one at the playground. One of my go-to snacks is a plain rice cake with almond butter, honey, and banana on top. I also love smoothies with frozen bananas.

    ReplyDelete