creating a healthy lifestyle for mothers and women everywhere

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Easy shoppin and lovely salmon!

hey, everyone!! First off I'll start with dinner last night! So easy.. so fast..
I like fresh fish.. Its the best if you buy it fresh then freeze it. When your at the grocery store you check out the seafood section and see if you can luck out on a "managers special" They have been responsible for many cheap and healthy meals ;) Its already usually seasoned so all you have to do is pop it in the oven!

I was really feeling like veggies and so did not want green beans.. although I love them.. I wanted something different.. So cleaning out my fridge I found a eggplant.. and a zuchinni! Perfect!! I chopped both of them up and threw them on a skillet with a little coconut oil, covered with a lid and let steam for about 10 minutes YUM!! 

To bake my salmon, I preheated the oven to 350 and I covered a glass dish with tinfoil (easy clean up) and put the salmon in for about 20 minutes. (make sure its cooked throughly before taking it out of the oven)



I ate most before I took the pic.. I'm usually an impatient cow grazing on my food before I finally get a pic of it ;)

Perfection! 

Breakfast:
I don't know if any of you are like me, but I wake up STARVING every single day! And the fastest, most filling thing I think of is Oatmeal.. So thats usually what I go for! And with the Cold chill in the air.. its definatley a must each morning!!
1/2 C. Oats
Slivered Almonds
1/2 scoop of vanilla whey protein
and a spoonful or ... 3 of vanilla greek Yogurt!
I love the cold creamy yogurt mixed with the warm oats. 
splendid indeed!

LUNCH!



Shrimp Salad

It has been a LONG time since I have had a actual Salad.. with lettuce! I have to admit.. I usually go for something that isn't so messy to eat.. (does anyone else feel like you get stuff all over when you eat salad?) Anyway, This salad was perfect for today, it was exactly what I needed. It was light but filling. It would also be great to make for a family party or some other shenangans. 

Leafy Romaine Lettuce
Spinach
5 Shrimp (on sale at smiths!) 
mushrooms 
cherry tomatoes
1/4 C. of cottage cheese
drizzle with ff balsamic vinagrette!

This may be a repeat tomorrow for lunch!! 


I have so many emails and questions about grocery shopping. 
How to eat healthy and not spend to much money, because people tend to believe that eating healthy is expensive.. that blows my mind because its completely the opposite! 


Here is a easy healthy shopping checklist and other tips! 

Here is what I picked up at the store yesterday for all $60.47 


DAIRY 
Cottage Cheese
Feta cheese
FRESH VEGGIES
Carrots, avocados, eggplant, kale, spinach, romaine lettuce,sweet potatoes
FRUIT
Frozen Raspberries and Blueberries, bananas 
HEALTHY FAT
freshly ground PB
slivered almonds
PROTEIN
Eggs
Chicken 
Ground chicken
Salmon
Shrimp
GRAINS
Ezekiel bread
Whole wheat kroger spaghetti noodles
Whole wheat Kroger Lasagna noodles
OTHER
artichoke hearts
crushed tomotaes
enchilada sauce
Canola oil spray



{My healthy shopping tips}
  • Shop the perimeter of the store, Staying on the outside takes you through the fruits and veggies, dairy, meats etc. Keeping you away from the packaged food. Oreos, Chips, Candy, Boxed stuff..
  • Buy in the BULK section.. this I allow you to go down an aisle.. Oatmeal, NUTS, granola etc. is cheaper if you get it there.
  • Make sure you shop smart.. for example.. I really wanted strawberries and raspberries but when I got to the fresh ones.. they were 5.99 for the pint. wth?? must be winter. they just aren't in season.. So its easier to get them frozen.. which I got 2 bags for $5. 
  • If you have time to store hop, go for it.. some things are cheaper if you buy them at costco vs. sunflower market.. smiths. etc
  • If you plan your meals in advance it really can help budget wise and prevent you from buying things mindlessly and having them go bad. 
Here is where I like to buy certain things...
Costco- Meat, frozen fruits and veggies, Milk, Eggs
Sunflower Market- Fresh fruits and veggies!! Seriously.. extreme deals there! example.. 10 for $1 grapefruit..Old fashioned oats
Smiths Marketplace- Almond milk, Ezekiel Bread, Greek Yogurt,ff cottage, fruits, veggies (that are in season) 

Store hopping can be a pain.. but you don't have to do it all at once.. or even once a week, Just plan it out 
It really is up to you! Good luck!! 






2 comments:

  1. I came across your blog from friends blogs, and I just wanted to mention something about the fish. I learned in a nutrition class, if you can buy it fresh, like if you live on the coast and can get same day fresh, that's the best. Otherwise you should buy frozen because it's usually frozen right on the ship and then shipped, until "fresh" fish you buy at the supermarket really could have traveled for a few days. It's the same idea of frozen vegetables and fruits are sometimes better than fresh because they are frozen instantly.

    ReplyDelete