creating a healthy lifestyle for mothers and women everywhere

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Guest Post: Coconut Chicken



Good Morning! I have an amazing Guest Post for you guys today! Hilary and I went to school together growing up, I have always thought highly of her and when I found out she started blogging, I jumped at the chance for you all to get to know her to!
 I'll be back a little later.
Enjoy!

-Candice

Take it away Hilary! 



Hi all you Body of a Mother readers! I'm really excited to be here, and super honored that Candice would ask me to write a guest post for her. My name is Hilary and I blog over at
I pretty much love everything about desserts! When you love dessert as much as I do you need to have a big circle of friends you can share them with, which I did, in Utah! My husband and I moved across the country for school so I had to change my tune a little bit and concentrate more on making dinner. Turns out making a great meal can be as much fun as baking!

I don't just blog about desserts and recipes though. I have the opportunity at the beginning of the year to do some pretty cool product reviews. You wouldn't believe how big blogging is on the east coast, there are exclusive events for bloggers almost weekly! I'm really trying to gain a larger following so I can do bigger reviews and even bigger giveaways...I'd love for you to swing by when you get the chance.

You can find me here:

Today I want to share one of my most favorite recipes ever... Coconut Chicken. I know you and your family will love it as much as we do! Tip: Read all the instructions before preparing.

Recipe slightly adapted from: Budget Bytes

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk (you can substitute any milk really)
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • Sweet Chili Sauce for dipping
Directions:
  1. Cut the chicken into strips, cutting diagonally os the ends are not too small.
  2. Prepare three separate bowls for breading your chicken
    • 1st: Combine flour and salt
    • 2nd: Whisk eggs and milk together
    • 3rd: Stir panko bread crumbs and coconut together
  3. Heat 1/4 cup of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat. It needs to be hot enough so the flour sizzles and bubbles when it comes in contact with the oil.
  4. Coat chicken strips in the three bowls, in order (bowl 1, 2, 3...)
  5. Place some of your chicken strips in the hot oil with about an inch between each. You can cook them for 2-3 minutes on each side until they are cooked through then place them on a plate with a paper towel to drain. Start your next batch. If needed, add more oil to the pan, allowing it to heat properly before frying the next batch
  • I prefer to fry the chicken until they are golden brown on each side, place them on a paper towel to drain and once I'm done frying all the chicken strips I bake them for 10 minutes at 350 degrees (cooking time may very depending on how thick your strips are). This way also ensures that all your chicken strips are warm when served.
Serve immediately with chili sauce

The chicken is moist and melts in your mouth, and the coconut adds the perfect touch of sweetness.

Enjoy!