creating a healthy lifestyle for mothers and women everywhere

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Blueberry Turkey Burgers.

Hey guys! Hope your week is going good so far! Saturday I started feeling a little scratch in the back of my throat, I taught pump sounding like a man, decided to run just one mile afterward instead of the planned five. Got to keep up with the challenge!  Sunday, I woke up with NO voice…then my blowdryer broke, which if you have a curly, frizzy “mufasa” mane like me this is not a good thing…. (Just go with me on this tangent). I went to church with no voice, wet hair and was looking like a hot mess. However, I did get to wear a new skirt, which made me feel better up until I was asked to read something and I just squeeked out the words the best I could which sent me into a cough attack. Seriously, who is that lady with wet hair and sounds like a 80 year old smoker.. Awesome right?
Then I  came home and made cookies, because that is just what you do to make yourself feel better about anything right?
IMG_7510[1]
I didn’t have any chocolate chips so I went with blueberries. You would never guess it, but these cookies were awesome. In a “buttery”, healthy, coconut, antioxidant kind of way.
Monday, I woke up STILL sounding like a smoker and had THIS workout to do. Fitzoner is a benchmark workout at GPP and it is one I love to fear. I hold the record for completing this workout in 11:59 which I have gotten twice, so when I saw it pop up again Sunday night I knew I wanted to try and beat it. Third times the charm right? But I didn’t want to do it yet.. Because I wasn’t feeling 100%
Alas, the sickness got to me. I finished the mile in 6:34, the back of my throat was on fire, in a bloody, metal tasting way..  As I made my way through the squats, pull-ups and pushups I had to stop twice to cough. Ew. I finished in 13:41. Next time I’ll be ready.
I took the night off of Attack and made dinner instead with a side of bachelorette.
BLUEBERRY TURKEY BURGERS
DSC_0231
Ingredients:
  • 1.5 pds of lean ground turkey
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 small sweet potato shredded
DSC_0226
  • 1/2 C. Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
Directions:
Mix all ingredients together into a bowl using your hands. (I know its sick, but kind of fun at the same time)
DSC_0227
Form into patties
DSC_0228DSC_0229
Grill.
IMG_7526[1]
Wow. The I phone takes amazing pictures.
Anyway.. Meat + Fruit + sweet potato. Yep, I just did that and it was awesome. Weirder things have been done, like fruit on pizza. (turkey & blueberries > pineapple and ham).
Smash it the middle of brown rice/whole wheat bun with toppings of your choice or just top it on a bed of spinach/salad and scarf it.
DSC_0232
It may not be a cure for a sore throat and it does absoluteley nothing for my mufasa hair, but a burger fresh off the grill is good for the soul.
We decided to have some corn on the cob for a side and grill a peach for dessert but were so surprised how good our burgers were we completely forgot about the grill for awhile.
IMG_7537[1]
Oops.
Question of the day:
What is your favorite thing to grill in the summer? Everything….Winking smile 
(Feel free to link up any recipes in the comment section!)

6 comments:

  1. yum!! totally going to try this :)

    PS: I love the new pic @ the top of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You killed that workout. Amazing. I also love the new masthead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to grill everything. My favorite, right now, is grilled steak and zucchini. I've never had grilled fruit, so that will be next on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blueberries were a great addition. I had mine with ketchup and was a bit skeptical at first but it was surprisingly good. Favorite thing to grill is chicken, its not as easy to mess up as steak is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love grilled salmon! This is one of my favorite salmon marinades. I usually just like salmon without a lot of razzmatazz, but this is a delicious little marinade! It's a recipe from Cooking Light...

    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/maple-grilled-salmon-10000001816349/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um....my time was more than DOUBLE your time on the Fitzoner workout! You rock Candice! Must try the turkey/blueberry burgers! They sound delish!

    My fave thing to grill...shrimp or steak!

    ReplyDelete