creating a healthy lifestyle for mothers and women everywhere

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Paleo Pancakes

 

Hey friends! It’s Sunday, and this weekend went by way to fast! (as always)..Long run, Pump, family time and more family time!

It has been a wonderful, relaxing Sunday! Maybe, because it started with pancakes!

DSC_0872

I used to make pancakes almost every Sunday but haven’t made them pancakes on a Sunday since the beginning of the year. We have an early church service time and to get ready and be on time doesn’t really allow time to make a well deserved traditional  “Sunday Breakfast”. (Like we are ever on time anyway… but at least we try right?!)

B apparently was missing the tradition. She woke up at 6am this morning… I figured since I was up anyway, it was time for some pancakes. I have had a can of coconut milk in my pantry for awhile now and decided it was time to put it to use. 

 

Paleo Pancakes

DSC_0873

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 c. Coconut flour
  • 5 eggs
  • 2 yolks
  • 1 can Lite Coconut Milk
  • 2 tbsp. Agave Nectar / (Natural Honey)
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp. Cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. Baking Soda

Directions:

In medium bowl, beat eggs together

Add Milk and Coconut Flour mix with wire whisk until well combined

DSC_0866

Add all remaining ingredients, mix well.

DSC_0865

Heat skillet to 300 degrees

Pour onto hot skillet until bubbles form, when bubbles pop then flip.

DSC_0868

DSC_0867

Stack, Style and Devour

DSC_0875

These little gems are light, sweet and perfect for a early start to the day. I used to eat strictly paleo, but now I choose to follow the Paleolithic diet probably 80% of the time. During that time, I got to play around with several different flours. Coconut flour being one of my favorites, I now use it almost daily! I commonly get emails asking where you can get coconut flour- You can find coconut flour online, or at your local health food stores. It can be a bit pricey but you don’t use as much of it compared to others, so you go through it slower. It is low calorie, low carb and provides a good source of protein! Give it a try!

Off to watch the academy awards!

5 comments:

  1. I would love a post on how you ate strictly paleo! Since you have kids and a husband, did you have to make multiple meals? Or did they also follow that diet? I have just recently started reading about paleo and am curious if it made a difference in your body?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey heather! I will make a post about it.- It was a tough transition but overall I felt great on the diet and got very lean on it. My body now craves "real" food!

      Delete
  2. this looks great!! do you think regular nonfat milk would work too? i do have coconut flour..just no coconut milk right now. i definitely want to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the fat in the coconut milk provide thickness and texture. I haven't ever used nonfat milk. Give a try and let me know;)

      Delete
  3. I just joined a crossfit gym and have begun reading up on the Paleo diet.... I too would love a post on your experience eating totally paleo, it seems very intimidating!

    ReplyDelete