creating a healthy lifestyle for mothers and women everywhere

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving Stuffing

In my thanksgiving prep post I mentioned that I was also in charge of making some additional stuffing for our thanksgiving meal.

I have never made stuffing before! I started searching for a perfect stuffing recipe through pinterest, blogs, cookbooks and I couldn’t settle on one recipe that I could make. Mostly because I was missing one or two ingredients or they required a little more work that I simply just didn’t have time for.

I decided to just wing it and make it myself! Its not like there was 30 people depending on quality stuffing right? eeek.

Good thing I’m a confident brave soul in the kitchen sometimes. And sometimes my recipes turn out.

Here we go!

Thanksgiving stuffingDSC_0082

 

Ingredients:

  • 8 slices of white bread
  • 8 slice of wheat bread
  • 2 Tbs. Olive Oil
  • 1/2 purple onion
  • 2 small yellow squash
  • 2 medium size apples (I used gala)
  • 1 C. mushrooms diced
  • 4 Celery Stalks chopped
  • 3 1/2 C. low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 1 C. Apple Cider

Directions:

Lightly toast each slice of bread in toaster

Cut toast into small bite size squares

DSC_0068

Pre-heat oven 350 degrees

Sauté all vegetables in skillet with 2 TBS Olive Oil till soft DSC_0070

In large saucepan combine Apple juice, vegetable broth

Bring to boil

Combine vegetables and toast squaresDSC_0067

Mix well

Transfer to 9x13 glass pan

DSC_0074

Cover with tinfoil and bake for 20 minutes

After the 20 minutes remove the cover and continue to bake for 15 minutes.

DSC_0083

Serve warm!

I have to say it turned out better then expected! With husband approval we brought it to the party and it was completely devoured!! I was glad since I kind of just winged it, but after looking at millions of recipes I at least had some sort of idea of what to shoot for. I’m so happy it turned out well!

DSC_0081

Someone was verrrrry patient waiting for the stuffing! While the stuffing was baking I decided to make some extra yams that I had on hand before they grew arms and legs and walked away.DSC_0075

I peeled, chopped and boiled them and then sprayed them with a little olive oil and sprinkled cinnamon over them. Simple, healthy and delicious!

 

DSC_0077

DSCN0856

Our thanksgiving was spent with Brent's family and it was a complete hit! Everyone pitched in and we had a mountain of food available with plenty of leftovers for the week!

DSCN0861

 

Q. What is your favorite part of the thanksgiving meal?

I’d have to say the turkey! I eat a lot of chicken and fish because they are easy and quick. But a turkey, its like a once/twice a year thing. Maybe one year I’ll be in charge of the turkey.. I might just be wingin’ it though. Winking smile

1 comment:

  1. Nice work!!! Looks awesome-love the apple cider usage. My favorite part this year was orange soy brussels js mom made

    ReplyDelete