creating a healthy lifestyle for mothers and women everywhere

Monday, November 28, 2011

Multigrain Waffles

Yesterday we pulled out the Christmas décor and set up the tree. We stringed the lights, hung the balls and placed the star on top.

Then the babies woke up from their nap..and now its left like this…

DSC_0099

mmm.. good thing they twinners aren’t any taller or I’d be a bit worried about the star.

ooomph.

Any ideas on how to baby proof a tree?

Multi-grain waffles

DSC_0092

*slightly adapted from here

I had some extra buttermilk in my fridge from making these muffins and couldn’t let it go to waste right? Brent requested waffles for breakfast so I got to work and got down to business. I don’t use buttermilk ever. Really, its just not something I regularly pick up at the grocery store.. kind of like butter or sugarWinking smile. I came up with a perfect multi-grain waffle

Ingredients:

DSC_0086

 

2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ

2 1/2 tbs ground flaxseed
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 tbs olive oil
2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions

Mix buttermilk and oats in a medium bowl; let sit for about 15 minutes.

Mix whole-wheat flour, flaxseed, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl with a whisk.

DSC_0085

In another bowl combine- eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla into the oat mixture. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; mix with a rubber spatula until well combined.

DSC_0088

spray a waffle iron with pam/olive oil. Spoon in enough batter to cover three-fourths of the surface (about 2/3 cup for an 8-by-8-inch waffle iron).

I apparently had issues on round one

DSC_0089

Cook for about 4 to 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.

Top with favorite toppings and serve

 

DSC_0090

The babies gobbled these up! And I had plenty of left overs for breakfast tomorrow! I freeze them and the next day I just toss them in my toaster for a quick breakfast. I’m telling you. If eggo didn’t already create this idea I would of made millions.

Q. How do you baby proof a tree? barb wire? electric fence? I’m totally kidding.. but really thinking about a baby gate!

3 comments:

  1. Baby gate! Not even kidding, the tree is corralled off like an animal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about some kind of dog fence/enclosure?

    ReplyDelete
  3. With our twins we are skipping the tree. It will be pulled over in a second! 17 months and a tree don't mix in this house..

    ReplyDelete