creating a healthy lifestyle for mothers and women everywhere

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Proud to be an American!


Hope you are all having a great fourth of July, and celebrating in remembrance of those who fought for our country. Along with a little family time and food!


DSC_0205


Last night we headed up to a local fireworks show that my family has gone to every year, as long as I can remember.
IMG_8073[1]

The twins loved the band, dancing, people watching glow sticks and the fireworks! Well, Baylee did. Tanner wasn’t to sure about them for the first 10 minutes…


IMG_8074[1]IMG_8075[1]
Boys.. never stop moving.. he sure can groove.
We got home WAY past bedtime, but it was well worth it!
Today, I woke up at 6:30 to meet some of my favorite girls for a quick workout in the park!
IMG_8079[1]
We did this workout, this is one of my favorite workouts to do when on vacation, because you don’t need any equipment, and you can do it in a hotel room! It gets my heart rate up and it absolutely kills your core and gets that heart rate up with burpees and  adds a little fire to your legs with switch lunges!
Tara was about the only one to pull the splits out. I attempted with a big fail. This girl is no gumby any more..
After the workout we had plans to go to a parade that was close to our home but the twins slept in! The late night party wore them out! They slept until 10:30! What kind of mom would I be to disturb that sleep and not take a little nap myself?
When they woke up I made them a patriotic protein pancake breakfast!!
Patriotic Protein Pancakes!
DSC_0200
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup Vanilla Greek Yogurt 
  • 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1 very ripe banana, mashed
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon 
  • 1 egg
  • Blueberries
  • Strawberries
Directions:


Add all ingredients except blueberries and strawberries into a blender and blend until combined well. Pour on hot skillet and  drop desired amount of blueberries on top of each batter blob. Wait about 1 minute to flip, these do not bubble they ended up being a little more dense. Let cook on other side for another minute.
Top with dollop of Greek yogurt and blueberries and sliced strawberries!
DSC_0199
They loved them! I’m pretty sure Tanner could of eaten the entire box of blueberries himself!
DSC_0196DSC_0197
It wouldn’t be the fourth of July without a family BBQ and swim party! Brent's family all got together for some food and fun.
DSC_0208
Tanner and Baylee are now LOVING the water!
DSC_0210
Burgers were served! Check out the spread!
DSC_0214DSC_0213
I filled my plate with a lean ground turkey burger, tomatoes, lettuce, deviled egg, asparagus, and a little fruit! I went back for seconds for more of that watermelon! It was the best watermelon I have had all season.

DSC_0215


We came home to put the babies down for a nap and Brent and I caught up on the Bachelorette.. classy. Buh bye Chris. Hate to break it to you, but you can blame your sister..
chrisbach
source
When it cooled down a little bit,
I RAN!!!
I took a little test run with my quad to see how it would feel. Do I dare say it feels better? I can still feel it a little bit but it didn’t get worse as I kept going. I was able to complete 3 miles. I felt great endurance wise but couldn’t ignore the quad. I promised myself if it hurt I would stop. It did hurt, but nothing bad enough to scare me to stop. It felt AMAZING to run! I missed it.. but I still am going to keep it easy, I have a half marathon next weekend… I’m not sure about it yet. I told Brent if I can’t then he could. He. is. stoked. Winking smile
The rest of the night we just hung out with a few neighbors and shot of a few fireworks to wrap up the holiday.
DSC_0216 DSC_0218

Happy Fourth!!

4 comments:

  1. What a great day and congrats on the run- hope you are able to run that half :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a healthy & fun filled weekend you've had! The twins are so cute. Glad they've had a rocking weekend too. I want those pancakes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo! JAM PACKED DAY! I thought for a second about coming to the park, then I was up until 4:30 AM and nixed that idea haha. The BBQ spread looks so good and so do your pancakes! Glad you got to run. I just don't want you to hurt anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a FABULOUS 4th Candice! I'm glad your quad is feeling better and you were able to get out for a run! I hope it continues to get better and you can run your half! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete