Good Morning!!!---uh.. night now.. didn't have time to finish and publish the post this morning... But...I guess the cat is out of the bag, I was given the oppurtunity to do another workout wednesday news segment for my local news station! This was my second time doing it and I love it! If you missed the first time you can check it out here!
The subject today was preparing healthy school lunches and after-school snacks for your children!
During the segment I was able to review what to avoid when packing your children's lunch.-
A lot of people send a prepackaged lunch AKA lunchables, bags of chips, cookies, juice boxes etc. to school with their child each and every day without even realizing it has very little nutrition and is full of highly chemical processed foods!
Preparing their meals in advance will ensure a fresh and healthy meal that will help them feel better and even perform better in school!
What do you want to avoid in a sack lunch?
*Avoid ingredients such as HFCS, hidden syrups, and artificial sweetners.
*Avoid high fat, saturated fat, trans fat and foods high in sodium--->( pre-packaged deli meat!)
* Fruit juice boxes and Soda: Some juices are misleading and are not 100% juice and are packed with sugar!! Stick with mini water bottles, or milk
*Check out the nutrtion label AND the ingredient list! That is where you will see these ingredients and you want to stay away from them!
What should we look for in a healthy lunch?
* Fresh fruit and veggies, nuts, seeds as well as lean meat and protein
* Think about fun ways to present them, sometimes its hard to feed your children fresh, healthy food, especially if their not use to it. Be sure to discuss the importance of eating healthy so their bodies can grow healthy and strong.
What if you don't have time to make a sandwich or cut fruit/veggies?
*Plan in advance! If you know tomorrow morning is going to be a crazy one, prepare it the night before.
* Cut extra fruit and veggies and keep them in the fridge for quick access.
*There are healthy options such as freeze dried fruits or dried fruits and veggies that are pre-packaged that would be a healthier option then a bag of potato chips.
Here are some of the ideas I shared on the segment today!
- 1 C. grapes
- 1 C. strawberries cut in half
- 1 C. peaches
- 1 C. bananas
- 1 C. Kiwi
(you may use any fruit)
1 Take skewer and poke the fruit and layer as desired! How much fruit can you fit on a stick?
2. Dip in greek yogurt!
mmmm.. .didn't take a finale pic? I get a blogger fail...You'll just have to watch the segment
- Whole wheat tortilla
- Fat free Cream cheese
- American/provolone cheese
- Toothpicks if needed
1. Spread 2 tbs of fat free cream cheese on whole wheat tortilla
2. Layer Turkey, cheese, tomato, lettuce
3. Roll up tortilla as tight as possible and slice (use toothpick to hold together if needed)
Oh.. Did you actually want to watch the segment.. HERE you go!
Q. What is your go to lunch when you are in a hurry?
Q. Do you pre-plan your lunch for the next day or go with the flow?