creating a healthy lifestyle for mothers and women everywhere

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Best Post Pregnancy Ab moves

Good morning, As with every Wednesday morning it started with teaching a fun Body Pump class and a GPP workout. Lets just say I feel as if my shoulders are going to fall off.. (in a good way!) I actually love being sore, it makes me feel like my body is changing or progressing.
Post workout I rolled with a smoothie- I was filling a little fruity compared to my chocolate kick I've been on lately..
Strawberry-Banana it was!



  • 2 C. Unsweetened Almond milk
  • 1 heaping scoop of Vanilla protein
  • 4 frozen strawberries
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • 3-4 ice cubes 
  • pinch of xanthan/gaur gum (thickening agents)--optional





This filled my cup twice! I slurped it while teaching these two how to drink out a straw! They for sure prefer the bottle of the sippy... T has got it down.. B needs more practice though.

yes, he stole her cup to show her how the pros do it..


{Post Pregnancy Abs}

I have had a few friends who have recently had a baby, and lets face it.. CONGRATS GIRLS!!
After having the baby the first thing we want back is that pre-baby belly!
First things first- It takes time. The worst thing you could do post baby is crunches!!
Why?
Crunches only target ONE of the several abdominal muscles, the rectus abdominis and that muscle is the one that is the most stretched during your pregnancy.

I actually recommend not even starting abdominal exercise for several weeks post pregnancy.

Let your body recover, your abs will recover themselves over the next few weeks following your pregnancy, its just your job to tighten them up when it is time. In the first several weeks following the birth of my twins I wore a belly band all day and relied on breast feeding to engage and help repair my abdominals.
After about 7 weeks I started with small ab exercises-- Here are a few that work wonders.

Cat Pose: On your hands and knees, inhale and suck you belly up and into your spine, arching your back up and tucking your chin in- exhale and arch your back down, lifting your chin up and repeat.
sorry pic are blurry.. apparently self timed photos don't focus themselves;)

Single leg circles: Lie face up with your arms at your side, palms down. Suck your belly in towards your spine, extend your right leg straight up toward the ceiling. Point your toes and turn them out slightly, inhale and make 10 small circles going clockwise, repeat counter clockwise and switch legs. Do each leg 5-7X

Plank: In a plank position, elbows directly under shoulders, toes tucked, shift weight from back to front. Make sure your back is flat and belly is sucked in! Hold for about 30 seconds. Relax and repeat. 10X
again.. sorry blurry pick & I promise my stomach is up and in.. my shirt is just hangin:)

You can also try twisting your hips and alternate tapping hip to the floor. 


Advanced Plank: In push up position, hands under shoulders feet together. Shift your weight back to your toes, engage your abdominals by sucking them up and in and with keeping your back flat, lift one leg up and hold for 5-10 seconds, switch legs and repeat.That is one-- Aim for about 5 sets


Toe Taps: Lie face up with legs in a table top position, knees directly above your hips, suck in your bellybutton by inhaling and exhale as you lower one foot to the floor, keeping your knees bent, tap your toe and bring it back up alternating legs. 20 taps -- 10 each foot 3X

**Remeber: BE PATIENT! It took you 9 months to create your little miracle and it will take time for those abdominal's to recover! The first time I did a plank post baby I could only hold it for l0 seconds!! It was crazy! Every individual is different but you will bounce back! After 6 weeks and you have the okay to workout again from your Dr. Begin with light cardio and weights, Think bicep curls, push ups, lunges. New babies love walks around the block as well! Don't expect to go in and bust out a hardcore, workout. Expect to be weak. Let your body build up to the strength you had pre-pregnancy!

Most importantly-- ENJOY your sweet babe! They grow to fast, and before you know it they will be one!

Have a good day!!

Q. What is your favorite AB move?


Q. I'm creating a new playlist for my race this weekend! Tell me a few of favorite please?




1 comment:

  1. <3 this post (for obvious reasons). Breast feeding is absolutely amazing. I will be excited to do some ab work eventually though ;). Thanks for all the advice. Your peanuts are so cute! Love! Can't wait to get back to pump. I miss my classes already. Favorite ab move? Walking planks!

    ReplyDelete