creating a healthy lifestyle for mothers and women everywhere

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Readers Request: How I make my shake.

So I received a message asking how I make my protein shakes.
Shakes are perfect anytime of day! I usually have one for either breakfast, post workout, & before bed & sometimes all 3! Now that it is getting warm outside I craaave them!
I love protein shakes because they are so versatile. You really can put anything in your shake. Here is one of my low cal shakes that I make often.

First I get everything out.. (okay, not really.. I grab and go.. but for your viewing pleasure)




I start with a liquid base- You can use water or any type of milk works just fine.

I use  about a 1-1.5 cups of Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk

Then I add my 1 scoop of protein. Vanilla Elite Whey was the winner today. 


Then I add a pinch of both Gaur Gum and Xanthan Gum, For creaminess and thickness. You can grab these online on amazon or I picked mine up at my local grocery store


I usually add a fruit- Frozen banana, blackberries, blueberries etc. But yesterday I picked up these driscoll beauties at Costco and of course a Raspberry shake was calling my name. 



I only use a handful and snack on a few more while its blending :)

I used Chia seeds today- You may also use ground flax seeds or PB/AB 
Simply toss 7-10 ice cubes in


A handful or two of spinach... (Yes, spinach! I promise you can't taste it and you will reap all the  benefits nutrients!)



BLEND 'ER UP!


I love watching the color change ;)


Pour into your glass and drink the remaining straight from the blender ;)
or be lady like and just refill your glass but I prefer to just drink it. 


Healthy, Protein Packed, Creeeamy, smooth and delicious!

Q. Whats your favorite Protein Shake Mix?
I'm usually a chocolate-banana girl but who can pass up raspberry?

8 comments:

  1. Yum yum! I always use unsweetened almond milk in mine too! Right now im loving chocolatey flavors but normally im more of a vanilla or coffee flavored fan

    ReplyDelete
  2. What exactly does guar gum and xanthum gum do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaur gum makes it creamy (like ice cream consistency and xanthan gum is just a thickner! You could easily just use a banana or more ice as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE shakes!! My fav is choco protein powder/spinach/banana. Love your blog - I'm also LDS =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz got me hooked on your blog--she thought we were a lot alike in our workout nuttiness factor :) I've been loving reading through your past entries and getting inspired to eat more whole foods--thanks for all the great tips! Nice to know there's someone out there even more INSANE than me about working out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lovelovelove green smoothies...but I have not put protein powder in one yet! Probably because the only protein powder I have at the moment is chocolate. ;) What's your favorite brand of protein powder?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @perilsea WELCOME! yes, crazy.. but sane :)
    @ April! Chocolate is my favorite! I use dymatize Elite whey!

    ReplyDelete