creating a healthy lifestyle for mothers and women everywhere

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

HOW TO: Roast your Veggies

Hey guys!

The past two days have been a whirl wind for me. In terms of kids, work, duties, trainings, etc. I have also come to see different view or I guess I should say revelation of what health really is. I have always KNOWN… but now I’m about to apply it.

What it means to me anyway…

More on that in a later post, I’m still gathering my thoughts on the whole concept.

I get a lot of questions on how I roast my vegetables.

HOW TO ROAST YOUR VEGGIES

When I prepare veggies I roast A LOT!

Broccoli, asparagus, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, green beans, acorn squash, brussel sprouts, spaghetti squash,zucchini, yellow squash etc. Really, I kind of pick whatever vegetable is on sale or cheapest in bulk at Costco.

This week I went with brussel sprouts and butternut squash!

I think the butternut squash is a steal of a deal at Costco, it is already chopped and ready to go and I also grabbed the bag of brussel sprouts because they weren’t to bad either! Both are less then $5 from Costco. Can’t beat that right?

I came home, pre-heated the oven to 350 degrees

I cut the brussel sprouts in half and put them in a large bowl with the butternut squash

Toss the veggies with about 1/4 C. of Olive Oil until they are coated evenly.

Spray a pan with non-stick spray

Pour/spread out the veggies onto pan

DSC_0110

Sprinkle with desired toppings!

I used Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb and Garlic Gold. You can use whatever floats your boat though.

DSC_0112DSC_0113

Bake for 20 minutes. Toss. Bake 20 min. Toss. Bake 15 more and DONE!

DSC_0115

I separated them into different tupperware's, so I have cooked veggies/complex carbs on hand. It helps a lot on my go-go days like today!

Somebody was really patient for a brussel sprout.

DSC_0109

WORKOUTS:

Monday Night: Launched Attack 79. I love this release. I loved every single song! The energy was fantastic and we all left a sweaty mess!

IMG_1759[1]

Tuesday: I did this workout at GPP. I PR’d my Power Clean and Jerk with #135!  Good times right there. I have grown to LOVE lifting. It kind of gives me that “runners high” without the running.

Tuesday Night: Taught Body Pump! My Tuesday nights class at Golds are always a riot and full of energy. Did some throw back release mixes.

Today: I woke up… SORE  today. Seriously, my traps were all up in my business and sensitive to the touch. I took the GPP workout pretty easy and you know what? It felt GOOD to not go all balls to the wall.42 reps is no joke though! I used lighter then RX weight gave my self a minute to breathe and got through it.

IMG_1789[1]

Weights anyone? Something about this picture makes me smile!

Headed back to GPP to coach the noon class- That class has some strong and FAST chicks in it!

I also taught a kiiiiiiiiillllller body attack class tonight at Skills! I haven’t taught at skills for awhile and it was fun to have a flashback and teach with a good friend and make it a party.

After it was right back to GPP to coach the last class of the day! This class was seriously fun tonight and we had a good time wrapping up the day with a little sweat and BeeGees

I turned on the “Eye of the Tiger” station on Pandora and they seriously had a blast pounding out those crazy reps to some fun beats.

Now its late and time to study! I haven’t told you guys yet, but I got another certification to study for and complete. I probably in total honesty don’t need it but I’m weird and love to learn. Brent found the NCCPT online for a steal of deal and bought it for me! I am committed to spend a little of time reading a chapter each day. So far so good! Has anyone else ever done NCCPT?

I have until June to take the test and going through all of it, its kind of a really good refresher course for me from the college days.

I won a free race entry to the Timp half marathon in July, from one of my new favorite running blogs! These chicks who write it ROCK! I used to workout with Deb a few years ago and she is one of the most down to earth, kindest, FASTEST person I know! Discover your happy is written by 3 runners, all of which are running fanatics and are training for a half ironman right now! Not to mention, busy mothers and wives!  Check out their blog!

dyh

I’m excited to run this half! It will be first time running this one and have heard nothing good about it!

I also have a fun giveaway coming up soon!! Can’t wait to share it with you… Lets just say Fro-yo is involved!!

For a Laugh:

As I was looking for an anniversary card today I came across this little gem, that totally had me laughing out loud in the store… haha!

IMG_1791[1]

Peace out homies.

 

Question of the Day:

Do you have any races to look forward to?