creating a healthy lifestyle for mothers and women everywhere

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Upcoming Races And pre-race eats.


Hey guys! Hope your having a great week so far. Good news is we are Half way to the weekend!
Woo hoo!
Most of my summer is usually scheduled around race events. But due to my quad injury that was proven to be quite the set back I skipped out on a few of my favorite half marathons and relays. During my recovery, we transferred my bib to my husband and he got run his first half marathon, which I actually enjoyed watching him make that achievement.
I’ve decided to wrap up this summer in a big way. I have two more races lined up and I’m so excited about them! One marathon and one last relay!
I will be running in the Red Rock Relay Zion again this year. I did this relay last year with my girlfriends and we are all in the game again. This year we will be representing GPP and will have a news crew following us and capturing all the craziness that comes along. Our theme this year is awesome and I can’t wait to share it with you guys, but you will just have to wait and see!
RRR
Source
The Marathon I am running is the Big Cottonwood Marathon.
bigcw
Source
This is the first year for this marathon and I’m more then excited to be part of it. It is going to be a fast marathon. Check out that elevation map!
ele
Source
Goodbye toenails. Winking smileOn a positive note, this marathon IS a Boston Qualifier! It is my goal to qualify for Boston some day. Probably won’t happen this year for various reasons, but I think this race would be a great course to give it a shot. You can still REGISTER for the Full Marathon! Come race with me!
I’m taking a different route on my training for this marathon. I’m not following a training plan. I am not going to tackle long runs every weekend. I’m simply going to do what I am doing right now. Some people might think that is crazy but I am confident that my GPP training will give me the endurance to get through 26.2. I will continue to run in addition but nothing over 14. With my last marathon, I ran, did GPP and was teaching. It proved to be to much on my body and I ended up injured. I believe this will be a smarter approach for me.
Big Cottonwood canyon provides cool temps and a very scenic course. It will be unforgettable that is for sure.
What I  eat pre-workout/ morning of a race.
I often get asked what I eat the morning of a race or before I workout. I keep it pretty simple and the good thing is these things you can find at any grocery store anywhere you are.
Everyone is a little different and this is what works for me, I find if I eat a carb and a small amount of protein prior to a race I don’t have any bathroom issues prior to or during. Luckily, I have never had to “pinch the penny” during a race.

What I eat 1 hour prior to race.
Different options: Maybe try and see if one of these works for you!
Eggs and Fruit:
  • Each whole egg has about 6 grams of protein and contain 1.5 BCAA
  • Easily digested
  • Boiled easy travel easy if needed and are quick to pull and peel from the fridge.
  • Combine egg protein with a low fiber fruit
  • Banana, peaches, cantaloupe, honeydew or watermelon.
*You want to avoid fibrous fruits day before and day of race such as, apples, berries, dates, figs, pears and grapes!
Apple sauce with protein powder
  • Apple sauce has low fiber compared to a actual apple due to fructose content
  • I mix in 2 tbs of vanilla egg protein powder which adds BCAA.
Okay, this one your going to think I’m a crazy mother runner, but it works.
BABY FOOD
  • It is easily digested at any age! fruit, veggies and meats! My favorite our of course my kids favorite.
Ella's!
ellas
Source
On one of my long training runs at the beginning of the summer I went to grab a gel and didn’t have one so I grabbed a these instead and it was the best run I have had in a long time! They taste a whole lot better then gels too!
Protein shake:
If I have the pre-race jitters and my stomach just isn’t feeling to hot. I’ll have a small protein shake
  • Easily Digested
  • 2-3 tbs of protein powder
  • 1/2 banana
  • water/ice
About 10 minutes before gun time or even a early morning workout I will drink about 150 calories of a coconut water or Gatorade and drink 8 ounces of a water.
I hope that gives you a few ideas!
Question of the Day:
Do you have any races coming up your excited about?
What do you eat pre workout or before races?

3 comments:

  1. I don't need prerace fuel because I don't race ;) Good luck on your upcomings! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am training for St. George marathon and me and my friend just ran down Big Cottonwood canyon last week. It is super fast and gorgeous. You are going to love it. Good luck on the race!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your upcoming races! I am running Marine Corps in October. Big Cottonwood sounds like fun. Can't wait to hear about them all!

    ReplyDelete