creating a healthy lifestyle for mothers and women everywhere

Monday, August 27, 2012

Not Always Organic


Happy Monday!!
Did you guys have a busy day like mine was? Mondays are always a little crazy but I look forward to Monday and the structure and schedule that comes along with it after a fun weekend. Well, maybe everything but laundry…
This morning I headed to the gym and the workout today was a total body circuit. For 10 minutes we had to do as many rounds of possible of 3 different exercise, rest one minute then move to the next triplet—three times! The workout was 32 minutes long and it was rough! …. so I guess that means it was a good workout. I definitely felt a little drag after consuming my body weight in chips and salsa at family BBQ's yesterday. I love rough Monday workouts!
I made a shake with a fresh peach post workout!
DSC_0846
Let me tell you this was absolute heaven post sweat fest. I LOVE peaches and I need to go purchase a plethora of them this year because this shake may happen every day!
I used my new post workout protein powder. I purchased this after chatting with a friend about post workout nutrition and this came highly recommended.
After Shock- Pina Colada!
Pina Colada plus Peach = Heaven!
DSC_0848
After a quick errand to Costco with the hummer and the jeep..
IMG_8976[1]
It was time for LUNCH!
DSC_0852
I grilled some tilapia, baked some sweet potatoes and roasted some broccoli. This is a common lunch for me but today I melted 1 tbsp. of coconut oil over my yam today and it gave it a whole new delicious flavor.
DSC_0851
I guess I’m on a coconut kick today with my shake and then my yam.
DSC_0853
Let me tell you, Coconut Oil + Yam is the JAM!
Eating Organic?
One question or comment I get a lot is, “You only eat only “organic” foods huh?”
Confession?
Um. NOPE. I eat mostly healthy but not always organic.

joke
Source
I would LOVE to eat organic all the time. I’m not a fan of pesticides and antibiotics that are found in fruits, eggs and meats. But it can get pretty expensive, especially meats. I can grow my own garden, raise my own chickens but there is no way I’m going to kill, pluck and cook those chickens or deal with a cow in my backyard. Those are some pies I don’t ever want to deal with. Winking smile
So I try to purchase organic fruits and veggies only in the dirty dozen. Not all the time though! I do not buy organic chicken, or beef. My sister, MIL and Dad have chickens so I am able to get eggs from them which is great!
Make sure you wash your produce thoroughly before eating organic or not.
Here is the dirty dozen and clean 15 list you can check out.
dirtydozen
Source
It is apple and peach season around here and there are local fruit stands all over! There is one that I pass on my home from the gym and I stop by and pick some up every now and then. I love to support local families by buying their produce and it always taste better then getting it from the grocery store.
localpeaches
Source
So I guess my point is you can still eat healthy without eating organic. Eat what you can organic, but I don’t think you need to stress about it too much. Some people may argue the health benefits and what not but don’t think you have to eat organic to be healthy.
Question of the Day:
Do you buy Organic? Thoughts?
Coconut oil goes great with________?

6 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever commented but I've been reading or a few weeks now :) I completely agree with you organic stand. I always buy organic chicken drumsticks from trader joes; 1.99/lb! But that's it unless its on sale somewhere. I do get fresh eggs from a friend and I do try to always buy organic milk. Sometimes ya can't win em all, though!
    You have to try coconut oil popcorn! 1/4c coconut oil with 1/2 c popcorn kernels on the stovetop. It is soooooo good! I really have to limit how often I make it. I use every ounce of self control to not eat it all! It's my 2yo favorite snack, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading alli! And Thank you for commenting! I love it!! I will have to try that popcorn, it sounds right up my alley!

      Delete
  2. I'm leery of the organic movement. The benefits seem more political than actual. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to think organic is real, but the more I explore, the more I feel the organic guys are just pissing on my head and telling me it's raining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally agree that the term "organic" is political, but you can't argue the benefits of decreased pesticide and gmo use in our food supply. a famous case was the widespread use and eventual outlaw of ddt. pure poison. are organics hyped, maybe. more expensive, probably. the scary fact is that we don't often know the impact on our bodies and environment until the damage has been done. i may be getting "pissed" on by organic producers, but feel the spray from the conventional side as well. all i can do is use my education as an umbrella. there is a strong case for some organics and that is where i lean, for now.

      Delete
  3. my problem with the list of the clean 15 is that more then half of them I am allergic too. So I eat the majority of the 'dirty' things. ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, I would just buy a veggie wash and clean them really well. Allergic to fruit? bummer!

      Delete