creating a healthy lifestyle for mothers and women everywhere

Thursday, August 4, 2011

lemon balm

Today I had a "new to me herb" that I got from a friend. (Thanks Judy!)


I had no idea what lemon balm was.. and or what to do with it! I love experimenting with new things so I of course googled "lemon balm" to find out exactly what I could do with these green leafs. 

After researching it and finding out that it is versatile and a great addition to any salad, smoothie, eggs, and fish I knew it was made for me. After brainstorming several different options I came to the conclusion that a lemon balm tuna salad would be delish!

{Lemon Balm Tuna}



  • 1 can of no salt added albacore tuna

  • 1 tbs grapeseed veganaise 
  • 1 tbs mustard (any mustard would work)
  • 1/2 lemon
  • 3 leafs of lemon balm finely chopped
  • 3 tbs Purple onion finely chopped
  • Diced red pepper (optional)



Mix all ingredients in a bowl, squeezing desired amount of lemon juice in.


and place on top of your choice of salad greens (spinach, arugula, romaine). I used Romaine.


Super Easy, and came together in a flash. The lemon balm was a sweet, subtle addition that gave it just enough of a lemony fresh flava!!


This tuna salad was perfectly paired with some Rutabaga fries and sweet potato fries!


Rutabaga peeled and chopped

Sweet potato peeled and chopped 
I simply just cut them and spray with olive oil and sprinkled half of a simply organic ranch packet over the top and some chili powder for a little added spice! 


Baked at 350 in the oven for 20 minutes turning every 10. For crispier fries continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes till desired texture is achieved! (Note: Make extra for a quick and healthy snack!)


This was a perfect lunch after a tough workout, including a carb, protein, veggies and healthy fat makes for a great recovery meal. Makes me feel strong and healthy and FULL! 

Q. Anybody have any "new to me" spice or herb ingredient? 

Q. Anybody have any recipes for lemon balm? Link it up in the comments! 

You might be interested.





3 comments:

  1. Lemon balm in tuna?!? What an amazing idea! I love it. I have so much lemon balm growing outside my house. It makes such a nice tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of it, but great use! And those frirs mmmmm want! I tried a new melon hybrid recently, it was mehh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do you find that brand of ranch? I haven't seen it before, but its probably because I haven't been looking.

    I have eaten your veggie ranch pasta (without ranch) almost every weekday for lunch for the past two weeks. Its so yummy and if you make it Sunday night it lasts and stays fresh all week. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete