creating a healthy lifestyle for mothers and women everywhere

Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving cookie cake pie!

Back to blogging.. and guess what.. My internet still isn't working!! My wonderful hubster conjured up a little internet miracle via Iphone. Its not to bad, not as fast as normal but it beats the long wait for qwest to fix it..
Thanksgiving was CRAZY! Lets just say.. there is to much food to blog about! Really, we had 4 thanksgiving meals.. and I won't be sad to not eat turkey for the rest of the year! I love thanksgiving because it is a time to look back and reflect on the wonderful things in life that we are grateful for. Which along with most people the top things on my list are 1. the gospel. 2. my husband. 3. my babies. & 4. my health..
I was in charge of making a dessert for one thanksgiving and rolls for another. AND my step-mother made sure to let me know.. that it isn't a health fair and to make dessert "not healthy" ... OKAY.. ?! well, I guess I could do that.. I went to work and found a recipe.. from another fellow healthy blogger julie who also believes that indulgences are part of life and well deserved..
{Thanksgiving cookie cake pie}

Take a look at some of the ingredients.. Yes.. I did have to make a special trip to the grocery store for this.. WHEN was the last time I used real Butter.. vegetable oil... sugar.... & white flour... uhhhhh??


Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookie Dough
Ingredients
  • 1 box yellow cake mix
  • 2 c. old fashioned oats
  • ¾ c.  sugar
  • 1 tbsp. cinnamon
  • 1 c.  vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
Directions
  • Mix all dry ingredients together. Mix in wet ingredients until evenly distributed and dough is moist and thick.

Cookie dough!! I think next time I will mix in some raisins! yes?

  • Take your dough and press it in your pie crust using a metal spoon or if your feeling messy just use your fingers! ;)



I only made 2 pies.. But you have alot of dough left over you could probably make 4! fyi.



Spice Cake
After the cookie dough  is in the pie crusts, just mix up the spice cake mix how the directions on the box propose. 
And pour it on top of the cookie dough filling the pie tins about 2/3 of the way full, allowing room for it to rise when it bakes.
YOU WILL have ALOT left over if your only making 2! 

Preheat oven to 350 and bake for 40-45 min. make sure to test it with a toothpick to make sure the cake isn't ooey in the middle
While the cookie cake pies cool start making the frosting.
Pumpkin Spice Buttercream Frosting
Ingredients
  • 2 sticks of room-temperature butter
  • ½ c. canned pumpkin
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • ½ tsp. ginger
  • ½ tsp. cinnamon
  • 4 c. powdered sugar
Directions
Cream together butter, pumpkin, vanilla and spices until evenly combined. Slowly mix in powdered sugar, ½ cup at a time until frosting becomes thick and spreadable.
Once the cookie cake pies are completely cool, just spread a generous amount of frosting on top;)





I have missed alot of meals.. 
But you can expect I had alot of this..

OaTs

1/2 cup with water cook on high in microwave one minute
mix in desirables..
in this case
almonds
cinna
1/2 scoop of elite protein 
and a dash of nutmeg


Snacked on this..

greek yog with pomegranate arils
YUM! 
I LOVE POMEGRANATES!

I have some new fitness goals in mind.. so my eating lifestyle is about to get a little boring for awhile.. but I'll be sure to mix up some good stuff in there as well. 

No stress y'all..

PPS.. I just registered for the moab half marathon.. coming up MARCH 19, 2011
YOU IN? 
I need a babysitter..haha.. but seriously.. its tax season.. The mr. will be busy with numbers...
 (he is an accountant) 
here we go again... 
training begins.. tomorrow.. 

Let the HOLIDAYS begin!!