creating a healthy lifestyle for mothers and women everywhere

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Strawberry-Lemonade Smoothie

 

Hey Y’all! Its finally FRIDAY. Actually it is probably Saturday, by the time your reading this, since I’m starting this post at 11:30pm.

Seriously, I should sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skip to Saturday…. I started this post last night late, and as soon as I typed “I should sleep.” I shut my computer and went straight to bed. I have been reeeeallly bad all week about getting to bed at a decent hour and I really was craving a full night sleep. Sleep>Blogging. I’m glad I listened to myself, because when I woke up this morning at 8 I was ready to tackle the day.

I’m going to back up a little bit, because yesterday I made the perfect SUMMER smoothie. T and B both love sharing my protein shake with me and I usually don’t mind but yesterday I wanted to create a smoothie for them.

Behold the,

STRAWBERRY-LEMONADE SMOOTHIE 

DSC_0233

Ingredients:

  • 1 Cup unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
  • 4 Strawberries
  • 1 Container of Lemon Chobani
  • 1 tsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 tsp of lemon zest (use a fine grater and grate the outside of the lemon peel)
  • 7-10 ice cubes (more ice the thicker it will be) You can always add more as you go until desired consistency is reached.

*If you want a strong lemony –>(spell-check did not high lite that, it is a word.) flavor add a little bit more.

Directions:

Toss all ingredients into blender and combine until smooth.

The twinners LOVED it! They drank the entire glass and even asked for more.

IMG_8156[1]IMG_8146[1]

 

I gave Bee the Chobani container and she licked it dry.

DSC_0232IMG_8155[1]

Sometimes I have a hard time getting T to get an adequate amount of protein in his diet, and this is the perfect trick to get it in his system. If you have a fussy meat eater try using Choboni Greek yogurt, It has the perfect amount of protein for your little ones. Not just for them but of course for you too!

Work Out-

Yesterday’s workout at GPP is probably one of my favorites. It is called “Squatch”. There is a lot of running involved, and because I have been having that dang issue with my quad I haven’t ran a WOD in a while. I have ran a few miles this week and decided that I did not want to row this workout, I wanted to run. I promised myself if I felt pain I would succumb to the the rower. It felt great to run! I’m a much faster runner then I am rower! I was able to run the whole workout.

When we got home I decided to take the twins on another little stroller run. I got them all ready and headed out, I didn’t even make it to the corner of my street when my quad started hurting, I turned right back around and sat my arse on the couch with some ice on it.

Later in the day, after a nap.. the twins not me.. we headed to the splash pad for some play time.

T and Bee are both still really nervous about the splash pad.. go figure.. they will splash around in a pool but are scared of fountains. T found a ball and decided a game of catch sounded more fun.

IMG_8139[1]IMG_8140[1]

What. A. Stud. I love this little guy!

Which was great until I had to steal it back and give it to the owners…

It didn’t’ take long before we were over at the slides. I got to meet reader Marla! (Hi Marla!!). Grandma Aly, came to play with us to!

IMG_8136[1]IMG_8141[1]

Meet “Speedy” and “Scooter.”

After  a little fun at the park we headed home to meet Brent, I still wanted to go for run….okay, Ill admit it, Momma needed a run after a long day of a quite a few tantrums/emotional breakdowns from the twinners throughout the day. (Hey, it happens).

I headed up to one of my favorite places to run, Bountiful Boulevard. There were quite a few people out walking/running. The sunset was amazing! I wish I would of carried my camera to capture it but I just enjoyed the moment myself. Also, if you’re a local, did you know bountiful boulevard is the high school hang out? Not joking, kids had card tables set up and even offered me a piece of pizza.

IMG_8160[1]

Some things never change.

I was able to run 5 miles with a few steep hills in 44 minutes. My quad actually hurt more going up hill then down…? Weird, I know. I iced and rolled it as soon as I got home. I’m excited with the progress I have made with it and the last thing I want to do is make it worse so I’m taking it easy with a few slow and short mileage runs.

The Star-Valley Half is NEXT Saturday… I still haven’t made up my mind about it. My husband, Brent will run it if I don’t, but I know I won’t be 100%, although I can run. Maybe not 13.1 without taking a few steps (or leaps) back in my recovery…. Decisions, decisions. I leave it up to a coin toss on game day.

This morning, I taught a Body pump class with a plan to do 30 minutes on the stair climber afterwards. I think I took about 10 steps on the climber before I decided to bag it and take it outside.

It is a beautiful day and it would be a shame to waste it inside, so I headed out for yet another short and slow run,  I was feeling about the same as last night, the heat was pretty rough with this run. I completed a 4 mile loop around my house.

IMG_8161[1]

PS. Loving my hot orange Nike combat shorts. Love.

I was a hot, sweaty mess when I got home.. Sweat was literally dripping from my arms. I’ll take an A for effort today.

IMG_8162[1]IMG_8165[1]

Now, to hang out with the fam and find something fun to do today.. like a mountain of laundry and dishes, possibly a little boating?

11 comments:

  1. What a great smoothie idea! Perfect for summer. Great job on the workout- fabulous legs and you have a slammin tan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely need to try that smoothie! Looks delish! I had no idea about Bountiful Boulevard being the teenage hangout spot! Too funny!

    Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ali- seriously, I found it pretty cool. we should do a blogger meetup on the sidewalk ;)

      Delete
  3. I say 'hi' back! My boy made it in the back of the pix of your boy! Wahoo! Keep blogging! Glad your quad is hanging in there! This heat has been hard. Suggestions? Carry water? Avoid working out outside? Hydrate extra during the day? I have done relay races with my runs during the heat of the day. How can i better prepare & train for those hot runs? Its my weakness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say 'hi' back! My boy made it in the back of the pix of your boy! Wahoo! Keep blogging! Glad your quad is hanging in there! This heat has been hard. Suggestions? Carry water? Avoid working out outside? Hydrate extra during the day? I have done relay races with my runs during the heat of the day. How can i better prepare & train for those hot runs? Its my weakness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say 'hi' back! My boy made it in the back of the pix of your boy! Wahoo! Keep blogging! Glad your quad is hanging in there! This heat has been hard. Suggestions? Carry water? Avoid working out outside? Hydrate extra during the day? I have done relay races with my runs during the heat of the day. How can i better prepare & train for those hot runs? Its my weakness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say 'hi' back! My boy made it in the back of the pix of your boy! Wahoo! Keep blogging! Glad your quad is hanging in there! This heat has been hard. Suggestions? Carry water? Avoid working out outside? Hydrate extra during the day? I have done relay races with my runs during the heat of the day. How can i better prepare & train for those hot runs? Its my weakness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited now to have looked at your blog! Love it! And the strawberry lemonade smoothie is genius, I love strawberry lemonade, but love smoothies more;) Great job on your workout!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I am so glad I stumbled upon your blog. Actually, I found it because Chobani gave you a twitter shoutout. Anyways, I love your blog and it is seriously awesome to see that as a mother, you find time for fitness and health. And furthermore, you instill that health and well-being in your young children. What an inspiration you truly are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. transfer our own desert like cake corner instead of the many fruits with saw which the butter moving up and even
    clothing layer because of the wedding cake blow. The lining while using copper mineral pans considering the stainless-steel affords the potential
    buyer optimal pairing throughout the cooking utensils.
    You will find have been Kitchen Nederlander ranges that
    will be also called "bean carrier ovens".

    Here is my web blog :: farberware toaster

    ReplyDelete