creating a healthy lifestyle for mothers and women everywhere

Friday, July 27, 2012

2012 Olympics!


I can’t believe the opening day to the 2012 Olympics begin TODAY!  I love the energy and watching the top athletes work, compete and achieve their goals. Its SO exciting, I don’t want to miss a minute!
olympics
Source
My top favorite sports to watch are:
  • Gymnastics
  • Swimming
  • Sprinters/Running
I got my eye on C-Rod this year! 

After looking through the schedule, I discovered a few different events that I never noticed even being an Olympic Sport!
  • Handball
  • Taekwondo
  • Football
Julie did a post yesterday on the post of the most unusual Olympic events that I found pretty interesting. They came from this CNN article
  1. Solo Synchronized Swimming: Discontinued in 1992
  2. Club Swinging: Discontinued in 1932
  3. Tug-of-War: Discontinued in 1920
  4. Live Pigeon Shooting: Only present in the 1900 Olympics Games
  5. Swimming Obstacle Course: Discontinued in 1900
  6. Roller Hockey: Only present in the 1992 Olympic Games
  7. La Canne (Like fencing but with a cane): Debuted at the 1924 Olympics
  8. Rope Climbing: Discontinued in 1932
  9. Trampoline: Current Olympic event
  10. Race Walking: Current Olympic event
Source
Solo Synchronized Swimming? How is it synchronized swimming if your solo?? Oxymoron.
Trampoline?
My sister and I could totally compete.
DSC_0048
Brent even has hops.
DSC_0063
Watch out 2016!
Workout:
Last night Brent and I fell asleep on the couch until 2:30am before I woke up to the t.v and dragged my arse upstairs to go to bed for real. (Couch sleep does not count…its never as comfortable).
My alarm went off at 6AM and I pressed snooze twice before I finally got up. My stomach wasn’t feeling to hot this morning but I decided to go to the gym anyway and figured it would be fine once I got movin’! I did a mile run to warm-up then completed this workout.
gppsumo
Source ----> via gppfit.com, there are links to both movements on the website!
I completed the workout in 18:26 RX. I was a drippy sweaty mess within the first 5 minutes of this workout. At 70% capacity I didn’t charge it like I could of, but I’m trying something new with my daily workouts and altering my diet a bit. Nothing major, just different. I’ll be sure to clue you in soon!
After the workout, I went for a 2.5 mile run to shake it out a little, I discovered if I go for a run after workouts like this, that target my hamstrings I’m a little less sore later. It was a slow and steady few miles but if I can offset a little DOMS its worth it! I even spent about 10 minutes stretching and foam rolling after, which is something I am not good about doing but I DO NOT want to get injured again so I’m going to start making stretching a priority after workouts. I’m not a yoga person but I do believe stretching is vital and important to my fitness so I’m going to work on it.
Breakfast:
I came home and made a fruity recovery shake
DSC_0706

In the blender:
  • 1 1/2 C. Almond Milk
  • 4 frozen strawberries
  • 1/2 C. Frozen Blueberries
  • 1/4 of a banana
  • 1 scoop Elite Egg Protein (Vanilla)
  • Handful of spinach
  • Added a little water to get things movin’ a little more.
DSC_0705
This filled my cup twice! Sort of looked like crap, but hey, it was delicious. Once you get over the whole green thing its all good. 
I have a busy day scheduled today so I’m off to run a few errands then I have a baby shower at Brio today for my best friend that moved to Connecticut last year. She came home for the weekend and I can’t wait to see her and her little bump!
Question of the day:
What unusual Olympic event would you compete in?
What is your favorite Olympic event to watch?

6 comments:

  1. You are a machine, with your running before and after GPP! That is awesome!

    I would totally compete in trampoline too! Love it still! Anytime I see a tramp, I've got to get a few flips in!

    Gymnastics is my fave sport to watch, but swimming and track and field are a close second!

    Happy Friday Candice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. alli- I love tramps!! You would totally take home the gold!

      Delete
  2. Gymnastics! Fo sho

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! I can't wait! I'm totally excited about swimming and gymnastics!! Hope you guys have a fantastic weekend

    ReplyDelete