creating a healthy lifestyle for mothers and women everywhere

Monday, October 10, 2011

Quinoa Pie & Bustin’ the habit

Hey you guys!! I’m glad to report that we are ALL healthy now!! NO more sickies around here! Today I woke up feeling 100% thank goodness!! I have a busy day scheduled and need to be at the top of my game
Last night we went for a little walk and it felt good to just get out of the house for a little bit. B & T felt a little cooped up and enjoyed the fresh air as well!
I hit the gym and completed this KILLER workout! I was literally on the floor! There is something about high interval group training that pushes me to give it my all each and every time. The workout was quick, ROUGH and made me drippy sweaty! Just the way this busy mom likes them! GPP delivers each and every day!
Lunch today was prepared with my leftover pumpkin from this and some of this..a 16oz can goes a long way!!!
Pumpkin Quinoa Pie
Yields: 2 servings
Prep time 20 minutes (if you don’t already have cooked quinoa)
Bake time: 45 minutes
Adapted from: Leann @healthfulpursuit

DSC_0646

 

Ingredients:

  • 2/3 cup almond milk
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 cup cooked quinoa 
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp coconut oil
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp Allspice
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • pinch ground nutmeg

Topping:
DSC_0643
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1 tbsp Agave Nectar
  • 1.5 tbsp finely ground almond flour 
  • 1/4 cup pecans, chopped

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. In a small bowl combine all ingredients, minus the topping. Mix until combined 
  3. Bake for 30 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, Mix all topping ingredients. After the 30 minutes are up, take it out from the oven and put the topping on top of the casserole.
  5. Place back in oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.

DSC_0649
BAD HABITS
We all have a bad habit. Whether you realize it or not…
Today, I decided to kick one of mine. (yes, I have more then 1)
This bad habit I have had I realize I have been doing for over 3 years. It has actually turned into a addiction. I didn’t think it was necesarrilly a bad habit, but I have started to realize the negative effects.
What is it?
GUM CHEWING!
Hi. My name is Candice and I’m addicted to gum.
Now, I know what your thinking.. Its not that bad of a “bad habit” but let me explain how bad it is…
  1. I would easily chew through a PACK a day.
  2. I need gum in my mouth AT ALL times!
  3. I feel the need to have something in my mouth (gum) all day.
  4. I would turn around or stop and buy gum if I ran out ON the SPOT.
  5. Spending WAY to much money on the addiction! (It adds up!)$1.20 a pack x 7 days a week for 1 year.. is $438!!
How I came to this conclusion that quitting is something I NEED to do:
Lately, I have been having tummy issues and I couldn’t figure out what could be causing it. Because I avoid dairy and gluten, Maybe it was to much fiber? Well, I lowered my fiber intake which just left me hungry and a stomach ache at the end of the day. I’m Bloaty and uncomfortable, I tried tums, that helped a little bit but I was still constantly bloated. In the mornings I feel fine but every night it’s the same thing. 
The Culprit?

source
Its 4:00pm  and I haven’t had 1 piece of gum yet. And sadly I hate to admit that I feel great. My belly isn’t bloated and I feel better then I have in a long time.
I realize when I chew gum you actually swallow air but I didn’t really relate it to my problems.. because I LOVE GUM!
The artificial sugar found in sugar free gum of course could be a culprit to.
So to say the least.. kicking a habit is hard..
I’m drinking a ton of water to keep my mouth moist..—> I hate that word
My mouth was SO dry during my workout..
I keep thinking about it..
I have brushed my teeth like 4 times today already..
But my stomach feels good.
I may not quit completely because I think chewing gum isn’t terrible but I don’t want it to be constant anymore. Post meals.. and maybe during workouts to prevent cotton mouth.
That’s that.
Q. Whats your “bad habit”? Please tell me there is more gum chewers out there so I don’t think I’m so crazy?!

3 comments:

  1. I had quinoa for lunch today! Love learning new ways to use it. And, I LOVE MY GYMBOSS timer!! I'm using it to teach my HIIT and Ab Blast classes tomorrow!! Rock on girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg i am a mega gum addict! I need to kick the habit too....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been having the exact same tummy problems as you and just realized it is the gum I chew all day! And, I chew the exact same gum, Mint Chocolate Chip Extra. For some reason, on weekends, I rarely chew gum and my stomach never hurts. I finally put it all together :)

    ReplyDelete