creating a healthy lifestyle for mothers and women everywhere

Friday, May 6, 2011

cinco on seis de mayo..





Sorry for the blog hiatis the past couple days, but hey, it happens. Yesterday, we celebrated
  Cinco de mayo in full fashion. Sticking with my Food Challenge of just eating whole, fresh foods.. this meal came to be quite the challenge.. SO I actually prepared as much as I could fresh but had to cave to please the needs of my guests.AND of course the holiday;) I did however stick with the challenge and I only ate what was fresh, whole foods. 
Hard to resist...
Tortilla chips
Sour Cream
Multi Grain Tortillas


Easy to resist...
BEANS..
Spanish rice--mmmm.. not to much of a rice fan either 


I made fresh guac. using this recipe! This was so easy to make.. kind of like a 7 layer dip with 6 ingredient and the layers actually just make the flag. Simple and self explanatory, I spread refried beans across the dish and made my best flag, using guac, sour cream, and salsa! 

Spanish Rice

  • 1/4 C. Olive Oil
  • 1/2 onion finely chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 cups brown rice
  • 3 cups of chicken broth low-sodium
  • 1 large scoop of tomato sauce/paste
  • 1 C. Diced Tomatoes
  • Pinch of Oregano
  • 1 t Salt


In a large Skillet, Brown the brown rice in Olive Oil. Add onion and garlic, stir frequently. Meanwhile, bring chicken broth to a boil in separate sauce pan

Add the rice to the broth and bring to a simmer, cover and lower heat and cook for 15-20 minutes, Take off heat, leave lid on and let it sit for about 5 minutes. 



Add a little cilantro. Mix and Serve! 


The layout


Then I forgot to take a picture of my plate. oops.
use your imagination um. k?
lettuce, chicken, with some guac. topped with tomatoes and grapes. Cause they were mexican grapes..;)

{FAVORITE THING FRIDAY}


1st weekly "favorite thing Friday". Each week I will share one of my favorite things of the day or something I have loved this past week! 

Good news in UTAH.. I think spring has finally SPRUNG!! 
I love, love, love Tulips!!
There my favorite.



Its past midnight now. Good Night.

2 comments:

  1. What a spread! I love mexican- the chicken looks awesome, i must try this. Yay for spring. Happy mamas day

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness that looks incredible!!! i am going to have make some of that ASAP!

    ReplyDelete