creating a healthy lifestyle for mothers and women everywhere

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

BBQ Chicken Sandwich


Put two chicken breast in the crock pot with some BBQ sauce and what do you get?
DSC_1072
A healthy and easy dinner! I love the crockpot and the fact that it is oh so simple! The whole “Set it and forget it’ concept sure comes in handy on crazy days!
I whipped up my own version of some Honey BBQ sauce mixture using organic ketchup, worcestershire sauce and agave!!
DSC_1071
Honey BBQ Sauce
Ingredients:
1 C. Ketchup
1/4 C. Worcestershire sauce
1/3 C. Agave Nectar
Directions:
Mix all ingredients into a bowl until well combined!
Shredded BBQ Chicken
To make the BBQ shredded chicken all I did was place 2 frozen chicken breast in the crockpot and topped it with the honey BBQ Sauce and let it cook on high for about 8 hours. It took me 10 minutes to put together and after a busy a day, I was happy to have it all ready for me when I got home.  It came out perfectly!
Brent beat me home, and get this… he actually remembered to snap a pic of his sandwich! (You know your married to a food blogger when….) he he!
DSC_1074
You could probably make this even easier by just using store-bought BBQ sauce. Just watch out for HFCS, which is hidden in a lot of BBQ sauce and even ketchup!
I always like to incorporate some sort of veggie with each meal and I find that keeping a variety of veggies in the freezer come in handy! Most of which are popped in the microwave and ready in two minutes! Zap it and add some to this dish! Bing, bam, boom.
Today I headed out for my last run before the Ogden marathon, with a few girlfriends, my legs felt a bit heavy and sluggish and my right hip is still really bothering me. *Sigh. I know not every run is a good run.. I would just like to have a great one. I don’t feel 100% in fact I don’t think I even feel 80% ready for Saturday. I have so many different thoughts going through my head right now. Maybe I should of run more, taught less, maybe I should just run the half? Should I even run at all? If I can’t reach my goal time..why?!  UGH. Well, you know what they say.. “Don’t should on yourself.” I’m going to quit this mental game and just kick asphalt. –> pun intended. Smile
Am I a bit frustrated? Sure.
But at the same time I’m still excited for it. I’m excited for the course, spending times with the other hundreds of runners that will be with me for 26.2. Most of all I’m excited for that finish line.  3 days to go!! Rest. Recover. Then RUN!
The 4 miles today wasn’t terrible, we were able to hold about a 8:30 pace the whole time. Afterwards, I headed to GPP and did this workout. Phew! Burpees are my nemesis.. Now, it is time to enjoy this taper!
Lunch today was full of fresh veggies! I haven’t had a salad in forever and this colorful plate was just what I needed! I didn’t have any grilled chicken for this salad, but I knew I needed some sort of protein source to top it, so I poached two eggs and placed it over a bed of crispy spinach, warm green beans and topped it off with some juicy cherry tomatoes and  bright peppers!
DSC_1075
The yolks served as my dressing today, oh, how I love the drippy eggs!! The flavor combination was perfect and melted together perfectly!
DSC_1076
I’m not teaching any more classes for the rest of the week to allow time for my legs to recover and be 100% ready for Saturday! (Not having sore legs? I don’t even remember what that feels like!) I am getting one last massage and getting my hips adjusted and stretched tomorrow with high hopes I’ll pull this sucker off on Saturday.
Can’t wait!!
Q. Best marathon tips?
Q. I’m making my playlist, any favorite running songs?

4 comments:

  1. My new favorite song (I have too many) is Walk Over Me - All American Rejects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will do well on Saturday, I just know it. :) I get totally anxious before I run, so I understand that, plus if your hip isn't feeling great, that can make you more anxious. You'll be great! Good Luck!

    I am really loving "We Are Young" by Fun. right now. and "Is Anybody Out There?" by K'naan and Nelly Furtado. One more - a blast from the past... "Carry Out" by Timbaland ft. Justin Timberlake.

    You'll be great!! Good Luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck this weekend! Best tip is don't make any fuel changes for the race and be sure to clip your toenails:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candice - you are incredible. You'll do great. Rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete